PROC. GIACOMO CORNARO
was one of six sons of the powerful and fabulously wealthy Venetian
leader Cav. Proc. Giorgio Cornaro (B-29), brother
of Queen Caterina Cornaro (B-31) and founder
of the Cornaro della Regina branch of the family. Three of Cav.
Proc. Giorgio's sons entered the clergy, two rising to the level of
Cardinal and one to Archbishop. Each of the other three sons sired a
line of the family that was to sustain the wealth and power of the Cornaro
della Regina branch of the family for generations.
was the progenitor of the S. Maurizio line. His brothers Cav.
Proc. Giovanni Cornaro (B-63/G-1) and Sen. Girolomo
Cornaro (B-64/H-1) were progenitors of the S. Polo and S. Cassiano
began his career as Podestą [governor] at Chioggia in 1515 and
was elected to the Senate in the same year. In 1526 he was elected to
the Council of Ten but was later held to have abused his authority in
that post and was barred from public office for two years. In 1528 he
declined election as Capitano [military commander] at Verona,
but in 1535 he accepted the post of Capitano at Padua. For his
financial assistance to Venice in her war with the Turks he was named
Procurator, 14 June 1537.
Although the three
palaces of their father were not finally divided among the sons until
after Cav. Proc. Giacomo's death, there must have been an earlier understanding
that Cav. Proc. Giacomo and his descendants would receive the remains
of the magnificent Malombra-Cornaro palace on the Grand Canal in S.
Maurizio Parish, which had been destroyed by fire 15 August 1532. Cav.
Proc. Giacomo's son Giorgio Cornaro [Giorgietto]
(F-4) received the property in his deceased father's stead and erected
Cą Cornaro della Cą Granda upon it, but
the selection of Jacopo Sansovino as architect
for the structure may have been accomplished by his father prior to