The Cornaro estate in the area of Piombino Dese was acquired, 1422, by Giorgio Cornaro (B-10), a celebrated military hero and martyr in Venice's wars with Milan. Later, during the War of the League of Cambrai, the manor house on the property was burned, either by Imperial troops, 1507 or 1509, or by French troops, 1511. In the division of the estate of Cav. Proc. Giorgio Cornaro (B-29) the Piombino property passed to his son Sen. Girolamo Cornaro (B-64/H-1). Sen. Girolamo erected a large new villa on the site, 1539-40, to a design by the architect Michele Sanmicheli.
That villa, which descended through Sen. Girolamo's older son, was soon overshadowed by a second magnificent Villa Cornaro designed by Andrea Palladio that Sen. Girolamo's younger son Giorgio Cornaro (H-4) constructed on an immediately adjacent parcel just 22 years later. The Palladian villa descended to Sen. Caterino Antonio Cornaro (H-49), who in 1794 purchased the adjacent Sanmicheli-designed villa from his 6th cousins and razed it the following year.